Monday, June 14, 2010

Weekend

Just had an interesting cab ride home where it seemed like the driver was high on something. Like a hyperactive bunny on crack.

Been having crazy late nights recently, and working just about every day as well. Fun, though I've lost track of days, and had to repeatedly turn down meeting the people most important to me. Hopefully things change soon, since I have an off day scheduled soon, along with rotating shifts so I work the earlier one and don't see myself in the (admittedly cool and fun) office until past midnight.

So after work today (yesterday?), packing up and flagging a cab, I was feeling pretty good about myself. One more day to a day of no work after all, and that's always fun, right? Walk out onto Lorong Chuan, within sight of SGPS, and there are three cabs waiting right there. Reject the Merc, even with the ability to be reimbursed the cab fare. Step then into the first "normal" cab and settle into the back seat.

"Uncle, Kembangan?"

"Can, can. You want go by highway or small road?"

"Small roads can. Hougang or Paya Lebar."

"Can can. Working here ah?"

"Yep."

"Wah, so late ah."

"Yep, this month quite crazy."

"Oh you at ESPN one ah?"

"Yep."

"Watch World Cup one ah?"

"Yep."

"Wah, this World Cup that Singtel very esspensive haw?"

In my sleepy state, I almost thought he was calling the telecommunications company an overpriced prostitute, though to most that wouldn't be far from the truth.

"Oh, yeah."

"Ya, yesterday that England oso, make me lose money haw."

"Heh, I don't think they are that good."

"Ya haw."

Have to try to resist a chuckle here.

"Heskey is useless."

"Aiyah that Heskey ah like a monkey haw. Then this Slovenia la, Slovakia la, Croatia la, Africa la, all cannot match haw? England only scared of Holland la, Argentina la, Germany la, Brazil la, Spain la, Italy la, Portugal la…"

At this point I have Inner Circle's Sweat ringing in my head.

"France is also quite bad."

"Aiyah that France haw, also lousy la haw? The Hand-ree oso now lousy haw."

"Yep."

"Then that Maradona haw, also siao one haw. And Ahjentina haw, oso cannot play liddat. Messi one person cannot haw."

"Yep."

"Rooney oso haw, so good but the rest of the team haw, lousy haw? But Capello clever haw? Bring all the friend. The Chelsea la, the Man Yew la, the Tor-turn-ham la, the Liverpool la."

"Yep."

"But Liverpool now so lousy ah. Good oso that Benitez go away. But maybe now that Gerrard and the Torres oso go haw."

"Yep."

"Wah I watch the match yesterday haw –"

"You subscribed to – "

"No la. So esspensive haw. My house there can get Malaysia one. You know right?"

"Yep."

"Braddel there. That Singtel ah, just like this gahment. So esspensive. You see, even the taxi also go up haw. But you can claim right?"

"Yep."

Here I begin to run out of ways to say yep. Thankfully, we're almost at Kembangan.

"Wah I tell you, haw, nowadays very hot."

"Mhmm."

Had to say something different. Whip out my phone in the hope someone calls. Unlikely. No.

"So tomorrow work haw?"

"Yep. Uncle can turn here, thank you. Then left right at the end."

"Turn right ah?"

"Left, left."

I realize my error and wonder why it's never been noticed before.

"Straight haw."

"Yep."

And home, and the weekend is GONE. Wow. I'm still coming to terms with the way everything is changing, but at least weird experiences on public transport will always be a constant. Should really be headed to bed, getting some sleep, but even with everything going on, some things (other than public transport) stay the same, even as I want other things to change.

I realize I sound less than coherent, I blame work and taxi drivers. And excess Thai food.

No comments: