Friday, August 23, 2013

Doha: Day 7 & 8 - Dissonant Delays



Missed a day, hence the title, though I suspect and expect that all my loyal readers, followers, fans and underlings have been craving for yet another update from the lone Singaporean in the team in Doha. Not really, no. But I'm going to give it to you anyway.

A strange mixed weird different couple of days, with yesterday (Wednesday) being the single most frustrating one since I landed, even more so that the first morning where I was called in to an empty building and made to look like an idiot while the person who said he'd sort it packed up and went for lunch.

Turns out I've got another Visa issue, which in reality is no surprise considering not-so-distant history. Looks like the jibes about finally going somewhere where I of all people won't have a problem with immigration is total and utter bollocks. Long story short, I was not issued a business visa, and until that actually happens other paperwork (and salary matters) won't be processed.

Raged about that for enough yesterday, along with other things that happened to further aggravate the heck out of me, and went to bed angered, frustrated, regretful.

But then i got up today to a message from someone that did cheer me up, and again reminded me that despite all the rubbish, there's more than a tad of positivity to be had.

Plus work today went alright.

Actually did something meaningful that's going to be on the show, out on air to many places on the weekend, though as usual Singapore won't see it. I bet there are folks back home who think I'm making my work up. I wish. But then I must say I'm pretty happy with what was churned out, even if it was heavily based on someone else's work.

Sitting now in the room, about half an hour away from a call from said colleague to go to some bar or pub or - heaven-forbid -  club. The last time I spent any meaningful time in a club (bar a flea market at Zouk) was literally half a decade ago, and really that went tremendously horribly and hilariously well at the same time. Not actually looking for that again any time soon, if ever.

But most everyone is going, and I do want to get to know the people who I'm going to be seeing almost every day for the foreseeable and considerable future. Peer pressure? Perhaps. Sigh.

Also, I have found that I'm saying "mate" a lot.

No comments: