Sunday, August 18, 2013

Doha: Day 3 - Damn Drogba


So Day 3 dawned with another searing morning that promised an even more scorching midday. Roused earlier than I expected, I decided to have a quiet breakfast on my own before going back to the room for a bit of not-so-legal Game of Thrones action, but before I could start it up, I got a call telling me about a meeting with some of the big guns from Qatar. In less than an hour.

Uh oh.

So I pulled a Keanu and rushed (rushed), meeting a bunch of colleagues to taxi to work, where everyone was already there, mostly. Of course, the meeting never materialized, and I continued the previous days' work of following the other fellas who had all come together from ITV do their thing, and tried to not get in the way.

A bit later though, I was given a Task.

Asked to help a gal I had met the day before with putting together a piece about Roman Abramovich, plotting a sort of timeline and montage of all Chelsea had achieved since he has pumped his billions into Stamford Bridge. Not too difficult, though made all the more challenging when you consider we have little to no Premier League footage (for now) and have to look for an ingest the tapes (old-school) of each game where they had won something in the last decade or so.

Drogba, Drogba, Drogba.

Holy crap.

That aside, it was the big kick-off for the Premier League, and Arsenal losing is always fun (though that colleague is a die-hard Gunner), and United won easily as well. Not so easy for me in the studio/gallery, trying to find my place and a place where I might be useful while not stepping on any toes.

Hard.

Not to say i don't get what's going on, far from it. A lot is similar to what happened at ESPN Star Sports, and later Fox (even the screw-ups), though some things are slightly different. Problem I can forsee is that in the gallery itself, there is already at least one person doing what it is I normally do, and while that's fine, for now I'm not nearly able to do anything else because I still don't really know how to use Avid, coming from a rough FCP background. The people I've spoken to have said they understand I need time to adjust and acclimatize to new systems, workflows, and people, which I do. But I am personally annoyed and aggravated that I'm unable to contribute significantly, watching everyone else go about, sometimes struggling with their workload.

Time to batten down the hatches then, and make things work. Eventually.

Also, bit of trivia for football fans. Without looking it up, who scored the last goal for Chelsea in the 2005 League Cup Final against Liverpool?

Enjoy.

No comments: