Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Doha: Day 6 - Distinct Dispositions


Another long day today, made longer by the "meeting" we had with a representative from the HR department, a tudungster who did more to enrage than enlighten, her words revealing if her attire was not; sending everyone away fidgety and fuming. At least it helped bring everyone together, if nothing else.

If it wasn't already apparent, everyone who had been recently recruited had been told different things regarding different things, with matters like insurance, travel allowance, visas, accommodation, salary, and flight tickets all confusing the lot of us. Some have already been explained, others are still up in the air, though almost every answer (or non-answer) infuriated those present, with certain things blatantly contradictory to what some had been led to believe, with the flimsy shield of "government policy" the only thing tossed back at us.

But at least I felt like I did more today, though that's not saying much. Most days so far I feel like a sheepish onlooker trying not to get in the way of people obviously well able to do their things, like a lifeguard at a kiddie pool where parental guidance is mandatory. Not that I am making sure people stay alive, far from it. I'm just watching and observing (here is where the analogy is not totally accurate, lest a pedo accusation is laid down), trying to pick up the basic skills and jargon and routines that the vast majority of my colleagues are already familiar with.

I do miss home though, with my mom sending me a picture of Kaera lounging on furniture. I hope she's doing well. Mom too. She mentioned how she kept hearing me cough, which suggests either she misses me a lot, or there is a sick poltergeist back in Kembangan. I didn't even realize I coughed a lot.

People always say they miss the food, the weather, other things from where they came from, and while I do understand that I don't actually miss a lot of it that much, save perhaps for the public transport system in Singapore, and the fact things get done when you hope they do.

A lot has been done, gotten done, and needs to be done, in many ways. Here, back home, in the office, other places. A brave girl told me today to keep going, keep at it, reminding me of things I shouldn't have to be reminded about even as she was overwhelmed with things.

Not sure how many of you are fans of The Simpsons, but after so many admittedly craptacular seasons, one scene sticks out in my mind after today, "And Maggie Makes Three".

Yup.

No comments: