Monday, August 19, 2013

Doha: Day 4 - Dessert Dilemma


I was going to say that this was the end of the weekend, but then realized how irrelevant that statement was, considering the term only really referred to the conventional work-week that isn't practiced here, and that my work schedule would make that definition null and void regardless of geographic location.

Still, it feels pretty significant. First Premier League weekend done and dusted - Monday night notwithstanding - and it's been a real eye-opener.

Moving forward I recognize there's a lot I can and need to do to put myself in a better position than I am now, something that three people have pointed out to me in various ways. I'm annoyed at myself for not contributing as much as I want, even if the colleagues I've spoken to assure me that it's fine. Those same ones are also the ones who have suggested how to alleviate that aggravation, of course, and I hope I get "stuck in" as one put it.

Also had my first ice-cream since moving here, a small scoop of supposed Kinder gelato, though it didn't really taste like it and perhaps I was better off picking the white chocolate instead. Still, pretty decent, though I'm told that the hotel's selection of dessert is even better.

As is its humus.

No, I am not going to develop a palate for humus.

But then development is the name of the game, as it were, and really why I'm out here, right? There is the obvious monetary benefits, but as cliche and sappy and cheesy as it sounds, I'd hope that only a ludicrous, Gareth Bale-ish offer would be enough to tempt me away from my loved ones on that basis alone.

Develop then, and get stuck in. Maybe even try that new ice cream.

No comments: