Sunday, August 08, 2010

Man Utd: Pre-Season Perspectives

With the Community (Charity, dammit) Shield less than 24 hours away, the English football season is looking to be another tight affair. I talked about what I thought about 2009/10 already, so let's take a look at what's in store, especially for Man Utd.

The biggest thing that everyone looks at, more often than not, is the impact of transfers in and out of a club. The Red Devils haven't made quite the same impact as they have in years gone by, and have largely been overshadowed by the other Manchester team (again) in this department this season. I've always been a fan of David Silva, and to see him in Eastlands rather than wearing the ugly United kit irritates me. Same thing with Torres till this day, both of whom United were supposedly coveting for so long. Other names to have been strongly linked include Mesut Ozil, Stefan Defour and Wesley Sneijder, all of whom would have been killer acquisitions in my opinion. They're all staying put though, apparently. Still, we bagged Chris Smalling and Javier Hernandez, who had a very impressive World Cup and has scored three goals (I think) since returning from the land of the vuvuzela.

I like Hernandez, and watched him very closely while playing for Mexico. His pace and movement is top notch, though one of his goals did come against an admittedly piss-poor France side just asking to be slaughtered. His lobbed goal against the MLS All-Star side also displays his composure and technique, and with Ferguson suggesting a partnership with Rooney, prospects look good. Of course, I said the same for the Rooney-Berbatov partnership (which I still believe in, if only Ferguson would use the Bulgarian better), so we'll see. I could be wrong, as I've been in the past! I wonder what this means for Michael Owen and (more importantly) Federico Macheda though. As it stands, I'm thinking that Rooney is the obvious first choice, with Berbatov and Hernandez vying for a starting place (if there is room at all for a second striker), with Macheda being next in line. Lost Ben Foster, who I think was just nervy and unlucky, but Van Der Sar at 40 is still miles ahead of him anyway.

The rest of the team looks solid, back to front. If Ferdinand stays fit, Rio and United are looking at a backline that includes the ever-imposing Vidic (who will get sent off against Liverpool), the underrated O'Shea, new kid Smalling, veteran Gary Neville and one of the world's best left backs, Patrice Evra. Ashley Cole and a few others might contend that, but I still stand by Evra, French fiasco aside. I'm also a huge fan of the Da Silva twins, and hope that they both get more time this season, even as wingers perhaps. Not big on Wes Brown though. Scholes and Giggs will be used sparingly again, but last season has shown that they've still got the touch, if not the legs to change a game. Park Ji-Sung, Fletcher and Valencia always impress, and Nani is still an enigma to me, choosing to be Cristiano Ronaldo one week and Luke Chadwick another. Wonder about Possebon's chances. Gibson will get more time as well, though Carrick's future looks bleak to me. Hopefully Anderson will stay out of car wrecks and Hargreaves eventually gets off the doctor's table.

Here's what I'm looking at for the 25-man League Squad, off the top of my head:
Van Der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, O'Shea, Brown, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Scholes, Giggs, Fletcher, Nani, Park, Valencia, Gibson, Carrick, Anderson, Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez, Owen, Hargreaves (22)

U21 players include: Rafael, Fabio, Obertan, Smalling, Macheda, Welbeck, De Laet, Possebon

What about the rest? Liverpool got Joe Cole, which is fantastic news for them, even if Ferguson said no one available "excited him". I've always been a huge fan of him, and I think him, Jovanonic and Hodgon will give the Kop a much better season than the last, though that's admittedly easy. Fabregas staying at Arsenal and the addition of Chamakh is also fantastic news for the Gunners though they're still threadbare at the back with less-than-inspiring goalkeepers. Why not move for Akinfeev or something? Man City will collapse, I hope, Milner or no. I like Villa, Everton and Spurs so I'm hoping they all have great seasons, and they look like they have the personnel to do it. Young, Agbonlahor, Kranjcar, Modric, Sandro, Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar and Rodwell are all fantastic players, all of whom I'd love to see playing for United. Chelsea are of course the probably favorites again, but losing Ballack, Deco, Cole and Belletti for Benayoun and maybe Ramires is tough, though the four of them aren't nearly as important as, say, a returning Michael Essien.

I'm optimistic for the future in terms of what it has in store for United, though. I'm picking Chelsea to lift the Shield at Wembley, but hoping that United finish top of the league, with the Blues nowhere close. In a perfect world, Villa, Spurs and Everton would complete the top four, but I see the "order" restored one way or another, though one of the three have a decent chance of pipping Arsenal or Liverpool (if they implode). And there's Man City. I'm personally happy to see Newcastle back, but here's to hoping an opening day defeat!

Community Shield prediction: Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd

No comments: