Friday, August 06, 2010

E-Mail

Friend of a friend asked about school. As I wrote the reply, I realized it was even more awesome than I remember.


Hi there,

Fang Xun mentioned you'd contact me, heh.

Going to New York is actually rather common, and an avenue taken by many who can afford it. Any student of UB-SIM (or SIM-UB, depending on who you're asking) is eligible to go to the New York campus after fulfilling a few simple criteria, almost always in August for the Fall Semester.

Here's where I should explain the semester system.

Spring Semester: January - April
Summer Semester: May - August
Fall Semester: September - December

So you can see, school holidays are almost non-existent; typically the longest "break" period is in late December (exams are sometimes during the first week of December) to early or mid January.
Back to going to New York proper, as I said, a lot of people do that, and almost everyone enjoys it immensely. Most go for two semesters (Fall and Spring) or just one, though under most circumstances, SIM students studying abroad (in New York) are a rarity since the "Summer Semester" is usually vacation time for the yanks.

I was supposed to go in January 2010, for the Spring Semester, but because of the, uh, tense political climate now, my being a male Muslim with military training played against me and I was denied entry to the States. People are fuming about it to this day.

The single degree program is nine semesters long (three years) for most students. If you fail or drop anything (or are a Business major taking up specific concentrations/courses) it might be a little longer. A double major or double degree (they're different) program might take longer than that - up to a year perhaps. That being said, you can finish a double major course in three years or less as well.

A Level students are eligible to certain waivers in terms of course and subject obligations, and most of them are pretty straightforward. Any A-Level graduate who has passed any of Biology, Chemistry, Literature, C Maths or has scored at least a B for Economics will be waived at least a few modules, and that saves you a pretty nice amount of money since the billing is calculated per-credit.

I've actually graduated already, at more or less the same time as Fang Xun, and if this E-Mail sounds like I'm selling the institution, know that it's with good reason. I've said before, and will gladly say again, that "screwing up my A levels and ending up in UB is the best thing that's happened to me." It's made me into the person I am today, more than anything else has, and I am sincerely glad I made that choice.

The thing you'll hear most is how the "American system" affords everyone a rich and different atmosphere compared to the more "traditional" institutes, and I firmly believe and am thankful for that. Especially in the Communications degree program, everyone is allowed and encouraged to be vocal, develop interpersonal skills, develop a responsible work ethic and work in groups. The teachers rarely - if ever - spoon-feed you information; rather everyone is expected to be proactive and take the initiative. This is actually a big change for almost everyone, and more often than not a culture shock. But I feel it adds a lot to your character and the way you're able to function singly or in a team.

Lesson structure is diverse, depending entirely on the instructor (many of whom are from UB itself, or an associated institution). Some are rather straightforward Quiz-Paper-Exam kinds of subjects, but there are some modules with no exams at all, and your grade is assessed entirely on a bunch of presentations or even class participation. In almost every case, the exam(s) isn't worth more than 30% of the final grade anyway, and I've taken a class where the exam was worth only 7% of the final score. Yep, seven. Everyone is also supposed to take courses in writing, history, music, psychology, sociology, philosophy, and science. Most of them are highly enjoyable.

Of course, it isn't an easy ride all the way. As Fang Xun (I sometimes call her Sally) will attest to, some of the modules and/or instructors are frustratingly difficult.

The biggest worry (other than cost) that most people will have is the fact that "a degree from SIM won't be recognized". From my personal experience, that's kind of rubbish. I can easily name a heckload of UB graduates who are now working in very reputable companies in the fields of media, journalism, advertising, PR, events, and just about everything else. Besides, the degree doesn't even say SIM!

The people you meet in UB (if you do decide to enroll) will come from all walks of life. I've taken classes and done projects with fresh O Level students (like Fang Xun), NUS degree holders, working mothers, part-time bartenders, Singapore Idol contestants, models, athletes, dancers, writers, artists, locals, foreigners from Malaysia, Indonesia, Russia, Austria, and everything in between. Of course, you'll also run into drama-queens, back-stabbers, freeloaders and general buffoons, but then you find them everywhere.

Many who have graduated from UB have wonderful things to say about their time there, and often with good reason. "I miss UB" is something I hear a lot nowadays.

If you're seriously considering doing a degree there, I'd say you're on the verge of making a great decision.

Regards,
Naz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.