Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Wolverine



I got home today, and went to check out what's been going on in the make-believe world of the WWE. And saw something truly shocking.
Benoit is gone.

It seemed only recent that Eddie Guerrero passed on, and now another one of my favourites has heard his final bell.
I remember the first time I saw Chris Benoit on TV on the (now-defunct) WCW. He was up against Dean Malenko, and it was a brilliant mat-based style wrestling-match. After years of growing bored watching repetitive kicks and punches and the occasional zombie, this match reminded me of Bret Hart, and how I used to love watching him counter the baddies like Diesel and Shawn Michaels.

Till this day, I'll credit Benoit for really introducing me to the technical side of wrestling, which has in turn led to my intrest in MMA and UFC. Of course, there will be those among you who will merely say "Naz, it was wrestling. It's fake." And to those people, I'll repeat what I said before: That's not the point.

Not much more I can say about him really; I was never fortunate enough to meet the man, and with him gone and Kennedy moved to Raw, CM Punk is my only motivation for even briefly considering shelling out some cash for the Summerslam tour coming up.

Rest in peace, Chris Benoit.

No comments: