Thursday, June 14, 2007

Foul-Mouthed Buffoonery

"Check this out..."

"Holy shit, dude that's not a guy!"

"Bro, that man has boobs!"

Now, a few people might have found the afore-mentioned bits of conversation slightly familiar, and have since given me some food for thought. A nasty (not nazty) habit, most of us have been guilty of talkig behind someone else's back at one point or another in the course of your adolescent (or even later) lives.

A long time ago, I learnt of someone who's been badmouthing the members of my household with little regard to the validity of his claims or even his audience. Truly, when you learn that a the significant other of the colleague of the significant other of someone who lives at my address was filled in on the apparent shortcomings of the family at No. 33, it does rattle the cage somewhat, so to speak.

It's not the first time such a thing has happened, and it probably won't be the last; far from it. The particular tattle-tale, who I'll call Anansi (look it up), apparently enjoys embellishing his reports of my family being stingy, uptight and arrogaant pricks.

Now, I'm no Momma's boy, but I can say we aren't uptight. Well, most of us at least.

Back to the point, though, I guess everyone has badmouthed someone. It's an incorrigible habit, but it's something widespread. Sort of like farting. Everyone does it, you just don't know of it, but the stink gets around and you can't figure out where it started from.

Well, I'm a little less annoyed with what I was from my last entry, and I'm hoping that someone lends me some good books to read. I know I'm supposed be lending Silence of the Lambs and The Hunter's Blades to people I know, so someone please save me.

And stop talking behind my back.

No comments: