Monday, September 25, 2006

Singapore Idle

Ramadhan (or Ramadan, if you prefer) is upon us!

For those of you not in the know, Ramadhan is the Muslim fasting month, where all Muslims (are supposed to) fast during the daylight hours. Of course, refraining from food and drink isn't the only thing. During the daylight hours, we can't

Eat
Drink
Swear
Have sex (some argue that contact with anyone of the opposite sex is also a no-no)
Smoke

Or permutations and combinations of the above.

Now, I'd like to think that I could lose a little weight this month, maybe even drop down to the (supposedly) slim figure that I miraculously had in early April, after a month in Thailand. I doubt that such a drastic change would take palce though, even if we're talking about the same amount of time here. In Thailand, I was on a diet of chocolate milk and prawns, with the occasional Pringles and daily soccer match under the Siamese sun. Now, I fast for about twelve hours a day, but then usually gorge myself afterwards.

Lets take a look at Naz's menu over the past three days.

Saturday: Buffet family lunch, various dishes. Big dinner, at the expense of a friend.
Sunday: Prata in the early morning, Indonesian buffet dinner
Monday: Khadi's home-made roti kirai in the morning, KFC and the rest of the roti Kirai for dinner.

Well, I can safely say that I'm full.

With the fasting month upon us, of course, expect an even lazier Naz till end-October. I'm hungry, come on!

And, after breaking our fast this day, most of Singapore tuned in to find out...

Hady Mirza is our new Singapore Idol.

Yipee?

In what is widely believed to be the final edition of the (so-called) hit show, Hady beats Jonathan in the Grand Finals. WHat makes it so grand, I dunno. Throughout the past few months, we have been treated to a mix of raw talent and piss-poor singing, more of the latter though. A performing monkey, an emo-wannabe, fake accents and camera-loving schoolgirls all caved in to the pressure, eventually making way for the final two, who many expected to go this far anyway.

So, what did we get? I'm not quite sure actually. Many people thought that Hady was indeed the more deserving winner, though those same people did also believe that "Taufiq already won the last one, so Jonathan will surely win this time." Racial Harmony at its best!

Of course, the sour point of the night was surely the "performance" of Taiwanese boy-band Energy. Three skinny guys. Who. Cannot. Sing. I mean, if you can mess up "Stand By Me", you need your tongue ripped out and fed to Drew Carrey or something. Seriously.

Oh well, it's all over, much to the squealing delight of Khadi and the financial dismay of my sister.

On a totally unrelated note:
A new meaning to soccer balls.

No comments: