Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Little Island... Off The Other Island

So I'm looking in the mirror this morning (not out of vanity, I want to shave) and realise I'm still a bit sunburnt. Well, I realise I'm still a bit sunburnt after thinking how dashingly handsome I am, of course.

I had gotten the brilliantly romantic idea of taking Khadi to Kusu Island last weekend, a little island (obviously) which is a sort of tourist attraction, but where few locals know about. Or so I was told.

After doing a bit of research of what to do there (laze at the beach and nibble at your partner), how to get there (get to Sentosa and nibble at your partner) and what to bring there (standard beach items and an appetite), I confidently took Khadi by the hand and dragged her to the former naval fortress of Sentosa.

There, after proclaiming at the ticket counter of my unique plans for the day, I realised I didn't do as much research on the place as I should have, because by the time we had wanted to go there, the only transport back woould be leaving in little over an hour.

And I don't know about you, but I didn't fancy being stranded on a somewhat deserted island known for only the turtles it attracts and the fact the it used to be a burial site for victims of cholera and other diseases.

I didn't really mind the reptiles, though Khadi was convinced that crocodiles patrolled any beach that didn't have a McDonald's within cycling distance, and that I would be pulled under un a death roll in due time.

So we had to settle for a "regular" beach at Sentosa, though it didn't go too badly. Tanjong Beach at Sentosa, which is widely regarded as the least cool beach on the island resort, isn't really bad at all. Clean waters, soft sand, few people, kayaking, beach volleyball and even rather not unsightly sunbathers.

There was, of course the afore-mentioned issue of getting sunburnt, since neither Khadi nor myself have ever thought to bring sun block in all our years of beach-frolicking. Oh well. At least it evened out my weird-looking tan from Thailand, a throwback from playing soccer in the scorching nothern sun every other day, wearing a singlet.

After we were done at the beach we headed for the Underwater World, though the actual beach stay was cut short because of imminent rain, and the Underwater World was the best indoor place we could think of nearby to seek refuge and still occupy our time (and 19 dollars each) without too much objection from either party. That and a rather skinny swimmer-type had taken up a spot behind our mat, and started suntanning wearing nothing but an even skinnier jock-strap thing. Yes, a guy. No, there are no pictures, you sick bastards.

The Underwater World wasn't too different from the many other times I've been there, though the alst must have been a number of years ago, but enjoying it with Khadi made me smile. Even more than nibbling a salty girlfriend. I even got to see her scream after a poor archer fish brushed past her arm while she was fiddling with a starfish.

"It's so soft! Come and touch it, come try! Where is - Eeeeee!"

Steve Irwin would have been proud.

After walking past a few nicely done exhibits, watching sea angels (a type of sea snail, I was told), jellyfish and crabs, we finished off the day watching the sharks nibble the divers who fed them. Good fun.

All in all, a very good day at Sentosa, in a good weekend. Integrated Resort or nor, Sentosa will always be Singapore's little overpriced and undervalued escape from the ustle and bustle of city life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes baby, that was a fuuuuunnnn date. I loved it. =) And your entry's so amusing, in a good way. Love you babes.