Friday, November 03, 2006

Sleepers

In 1973, Woody Allen released "Sleeper", a love story about two people who hate each other, 200 years into the future.

"Sleeper" was also the name of a British band in the 1990's, a type of fish, a chokehold and a kind of railway car.

I'll focus on the last definition, tweaking it slightly.

As I mentioned before, I often make use of the generally excellent public transport system here in Singapore, with little or no complaint on most days, other than the odd maniacal cab-driver or late bus.

But, I get annoyed (very easily in most cases...) when someone infringes on my "personal space" in a bus or train. I don't usually have an aversion to human contact, and I'm not anti-social on most days, except for my urge to kick babies I guess.

Anyway, what irks me is how some people love to sleep on the bus or train (the bus, predominantly) and lean on you. Now, sleeping on a bus in itself isn't a bad thing. I used to sleep on buses everyday. But yeah, leaning.

It's inconsiderate, to say the least, when someone is trying to get from Point A to Point B and someone he/she is unfortunate enough to sit beside decides that their shoulder is doing a brilliant impersonation of their bedroom pillow.

Let's not even get started on those who drool too.

Here's what I tend to do when I get on a bus.

-Get a seat near the back doors.
-Sit by the window
-Keep an eye out for anyone who might sleep beside me and lean on me

If the third point (sadly) occurs in its entirety, I'd be forced to carry through with the sure-fire way of making sure they only rest on me once.

A good hard shove. Into the isle.

Works every time.

Try it!

No comments: