Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It Flies

As I was sending my heavily-mascara'd sister to the airport for her flight to the land of the Vuvuzela, I realized that the airport is a place that holds special significance in my life. I've shared some of my fondest and saddest memories with the people dearest to me there, and it will probably be a place I'll always look at with more than a hint of sentiment.

But the other thing that flies, as do airplanes in the night sky, is time.

2010 has flashed by, almost too fast for most of us to catch. It still amazes me that it's a few days till Christmas, when I can vividly remember what I was doing in the first quarter of the year. Logically speaking, there are only two possible explanations, of course. Either time appears to be going by faster as we get older because the elapsed time grows proportionally smaller when compared to what we've already experienced, of, the far more likely scenario, I actually have special time-bending powers. Yatta!

It's been a mixed year, at best. Silver linings and small victories in despair, and muted celebrations scattered through the calendar. Got out of school, but miss it. Got a good job, but sacrificed a large chunk of the social life, found and lost good friends and important people, as well as those less favored.

Most of you who either take the time to ask about me and/or to read this space would know all that already, perhaps in depth. Admittedly, some people know more than others, or at least more of certain things than others, either due to choice or circumstance.

Has it been a good year? I'm not sure. Has it been a bad one? I really can't say either way. I do know though, that I made two resolutions last year, and I've kept one of them very well, and failed miserably in the other.

Perhaps that sums up my 2010.

No comments: