Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Meet the Parents, Part II

So, this past Sunday I traevelled all of 300 metres or so, by car, to Khadi's house. With my family. For the return leg of the first encounter. How'd it go?

Well, it went well, for the most part, I'm very happy to say. We got there more or less on time, and I looked supposedly dashing in that shirt I tend to wear for "important" events. At least that's what she told me.

I've been there before, several times, in fact. I've been there to eat, to take random stuff, take a look at a sick cat, even feed a toddler. Who I didn't even kick. But this time was different, of course. It was to Meet The Parents.

Although, that might sound a little redundant as it already took place. So yeah, the away leg, as it may. First leg was a success, now all we need to do is to stay steady...

Dinner was great, surprisingly. I'm not saying they're bad cooks; on the contrary, I've never tasted anything less than delicious spewing from their kitchen. But this time it was briyani. I don't do briyani. But it was alot better than expected, and a real smile eclipsed the half-cringe I had plastered all over my face when I took my first bite. She was, of course, staring at me the whole time, probably admiring how dazzling I looked, but I think I mentioned that already, eh?

But back to reality, the only downside would be that my bratty little sister behaved well, brattily, for lack of a better term. Now, she's someone who deserved to be kicked. Even the best efforts of Khadi's grandma, bribing her with kittens, could only garner a silent nod. Fazlee, of course, provided one of the highlights of the night when "confronted" by Khadi's grandma.

(Conversation in Malay)

Grandma: So, you're still schooling?
Fazlee: (Pause) Oh, yes. I'm studying in a polytechnic.
Grandma: Oh, I see, I see... Finished with your exams for now?
Fazlee: (Less brief pause)
Grandma: (Being grandmotherly silent)
Fazlee Uh...
Grandma: (Still being grandmotherly silent)
Fazlee: What?

I guess it goes without saying that my brother needs to brush up on his Malay if he wants to speak to my future grandma-in-law...

So that's how it went really, nothing "bad" happening, alot of laughing filling in the gaps in between dinner and random chit-chat and cat-sightings. I must say, the fact that our moms hugged each other bodes well for the future, eh?

To Khadi: Love you babe.

No comments: