Monday, November 02, 2009

Black & Gold

A long, long, while ago, I responded to a notice appealing to interested writers for the Editorial Department of the SIM-UB Student Council. Signing up for the Council was honestly just a matter of me wanting a fancy testimonial that might impress any future prospects, rather than a genuine case of wanting to help out. Horrible, I know.

Since then, though, I've watched student leaders come and go, and been a part of a few things in my earlier days within the group. Then, due to unforeseen circumstances, I was asked to step up myself and assume the mantle of a Director by the President herself.

Now, it wasn't the first time it happened, and I'm not saying that out of a sense of pride or bloated self-worth. I had originally turned down the previous requests due to the simple fact that I was and am aware of the way I tend to grow less interested and bothered by things as time goes on. It's happened before, and I was afraid it would happen again. And I hate disappointing anyone, or giving less than my best, which is why I steer clear of things I am not totally sure of.

However, things changed, and people around me did a good job of persuading me that it could work. And it did.

Removing some dead weight from the team, and bringing everyone together with a common goal in mind was relatively easy, since so many of the ones who stayed were genuinely interested. In fact, it has been a great and fantastic honor and pleasure working alongside each and every one of them.

Kenneth Chow, Bryan, Rolan, Deepan and Ida have been on board since Day 1, and each has contributed in his or her own unique way. Sonia did too, though she left prematurely on her own accord. Later, Jacinda, Syidah, Qing Ling, Andrea, Manik and Kenneth Lee signed up as well, and like the others, have proven great assets to the team. Right now we have four new girls as well - Evona, Wendy, Aqidah, and Laila - who each look more than able to bring The Buffalo Horn to the next level.

The Editorial Team aside, it has been a wonderful experience working with many others as well. The other Directors have made life in SIM-UB vibrant and interesting, offering their expertise and unique advice as and when needed. The Vice-President has also been a source of support and amusement, especially when she isn't parking my car or stomping on my foot. And last, but certainly not in the least, Madame President is probably the single reason I agreed to take up the responsibility as Editor. As I've said before, and will proudly say again, I would not have done so under anyone else.

Of course, there have been disagreements in the past, which is to be expected. The Directors clash on things such as planning and execution of events and occasions. I still tangle with my lady boss over things she doesn't agree with (like my wanting to name the newsletter The Bull Sheet), but all in all it's a cohesive and functioning unit which has seen student life in SIM-UB flourish in many ways.

There are, however, exceptions.

I hate to critique any individual person on-line, but some things have gone on for long enough. Most of you also know that I rarely use names, and that won't change here (though the string of names earlier is different). For a long time, I had to deal with a certain individual who seemed intent on stirring controversy and purposefully brewing trouble and discontent among students in the more senior batches. The said individual is long-gone, and all the better, to many of us, though it seems that another has (not so) quietly emerged.

Like I said earlier, I (like several others) had originally joined the Student Council for material gains, for lack of a better word. But working with those I have named, however, and seeing the fruits of our labor come to actualization, I'll be damned if I let someone - anyone - defame or besmirch the Black and Gold shirts that so many have worked to earn.

What really irks me is that some people are so comfortable in sowing strife within an organization they are actually a part of, and I am left befuddled and lost for words as to why this is so. If you're so unhappy, so scornful, so pitifully angsty, you are free to leave. The option has been presented to you for ages, and it has always been the case. For any of us. And if it were up to me, I would have hauled your little snotty mouth out the door a long time ago.

This isn't the best way of addressing the issue of course. And there's a good chance that many of those involved in one way or another will never read or see or know this one little (?) note. But writing has always been a form of catharsis for me and many others, though I'm not going to let this die just with a few typed paragraphs. Some have called for stern action, others suggest letting it slide.

I'm NOT going to stand around and let a childish twit heckle and bitch about something I consider a part of me. Something I have personally put a large part of myself into (hold the jokes), and something I am genuinely proud to be a part of. I take it as a personal insult to me, my team, and every other person who has ever and will ever don the colors of the SIM-UB Student Council.

There we go.

No comments: