Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Where There's Smoke...

I know many people who indulge themselves in a ciggy from time to time. Members of my immediate and extended family, close friends and schoolmates. Some people just have that "smoker" look or vibe, you know? Others, when you see them light up, you go "Oh really?"

The image on the right here isn't exactly a glamourous shot of someone, and I apologise if I've spoilt your appetite or mood, but if you live in Singapore (and the majority of readers at this point of time do), you've seen it before anyway.

For the rest, let me fill you in. The Singapore government runs, from time to time, various "anti-smoking" campaigns. Of course, they also encourage youngsters to marry and copulate safely to enhance our declining birth rates, not to say lah and that chewing gum is evil, but I digress.

This isn't the first time that "shock treatment" has been used by the Ministry of Health to "coax" our citizens to give up the habit. In 1999, similar tactics were employed, with a number of television segments showing scence from what appears to be an autopsy, whereby the surgeon/patholigst removes a random organ from a (presumably-dead) body, and shows us why it's, well, screwed. Brain, lung, artery. Clot, tar, blockage.

Personally, I don't have anything against the whole thing. True, it might be an eyesore, and some parents have actually voiced their concerns that such scenes may be traumatising to younger minds, but I actually think that it works, to an extent.

I don't smoke, myself. Never have, never will. There are cooler ways to die, as some might say. A recent episode of My Name is Earl eventually touched on the fact that smoking lietrally takes minutes to years of your life, a fact that nearly everyone knows already.

A few people have asked me why I don't smoke. I mean, I have a readily available stash of Marlboro Reds just metres from my room, and it's not like either of my parents would object, seeing as how I go and buy cigs for them anyway. Same goes for drinking. Nearly everyone I know who drinks has asked me why I don't. Religion aside, I lump the argument under the same one I've used for that of smoking. I don't quite see the point. And besides, I hate the smell of alcohol. There we go again, digressing.

So where am I? Oh yes. I don't smoke, don't drink. Don't take drugs either, if you're wondering. Just caffeine I guess. Like I said, I don't quite see the point. I get that some get a "high" from vodka martinis and others use nicotine as a way to relieve tension, but doesn't the addiction have a strain on your wallets? I'm no expert on the finances of vices, but even the cheapest smokes cost something. And you run out of them pretty soon when your posse moves in a hazy nimbus too. Don't get me started on pricey drinks at bars, clubs or pubs. A damn Coke costs about as much as a cab home, so I'll just sit and inhale your fumes, thank you very much.

Still, I guess it's a business, and a lucrative one. Jessica Alba promoted Tiger Beer, and she always gets a thumbs-up from Naz. Calsberg usually has not-too-stupid TV ads, so no real complaints there. Malboro has their name emblazoned in bar-code on the Ferrari F1 racing team cars.

What does all of this lead to? Just a question from me really. Even though I do kinda expect the same old answers anyway.

To the smokers (and drinkers) out there, I ask you Why?

Most everyone knows it's bad for you. Cancer, tumors, liver and kidney failure. Bad breath and puking. Still, it goes on. No offence, but it's called intoxicated for a reason. A wise man once told me "You don't smoke a cigarette, it smokes you. You're just the sucker on the end of it."

Then he went to light his third in 5 minutes while taking a swig of Tiger.

No comments: