Sunday, April 01, 2007

Hard To Say Goodbye

You know that really drawn out balland by Andrea Bocelli, usually performed as a duet with someone else? Yeah, this isn't about that.

We all say goodbye sometime or other. Sometimes the "goodbye" is more of a "see you later" and a "nice knowing you". Sometimes its sudden, sometimes its been put off for too long. Sometimes you do so with more than a tinge of sadness, and other times it's with relief and the underlying sentiment of "good riddance".

I'll be saying adios to my Playstation 2 in the near future, if I can find a suitable buyer. It's in good working condition, with two working PS2 controllers and a memory card. But damn, we've been through alot. This set was the one that showed me the glory that was Winning Eleven, and gave me the best video-game wrestling match (Benoit vs Angle, ultimate submission) that I've ever had. This was the set that saw me and a good buddy of mine fight back from 4-0 down to win a match 7-4, leading to half of the losing team, well, losing it and jumping up and down on my bed screaming "What the f*%#!!!". This was the console that gave me and my brother so many NOS-powered great races through the midnight streets of a virtual city. That saw so many epic battles of a boy against a giant, of mutants and superheroes, Jedi, jet-skis, motorbikes, crazy murderers, ice hockey and dragons.

It's a far cry from the humble beginnings of the old Sega Megadrive that I had when I was little. Back then, we marvelled at 2-D Sonic the Hedgehog and Street Fighter. We gasped and sputtered when Sub-Zero super-uppercutted Sonya into the ceiling in Mortal Kombat. We cheered and danced in the livingroom when we brought Italy a last-gasp winner in the final of the FIFA International tournament. Pit Fighter and Streets of Rage seemed to be the pinnacle of action videogames.

Still, I guess someone else might be happier with good ol' PS2. It's sitting on my room floor, a little dusty but still working great, for when me and my brother popped in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for a bit of fun, we still got our asses handed to us by gigantic flying fireballs. It was the first time we ever failed a mission in the series. We took it as a sign. Laying down the controllers gingerly and watching Captain America and Spiderman flail about after Blade and Thor had already fallen, we turned to each other before coming to the same conclusion: End of an era.

A few of my friends begged me not to sell it. They so love to come over for a game or two when citcumstances permit. But I'll have to disappoint them, the PS2 would be leaving the building, if al goes well. I need the cash anyway.

So, any buyers?

Sony Playstation 2, Modified *hint hint*
2 working PS 2 Controllers, Memory Card
Wide selection of games which include:
Every WWE Smackdown! Except Just Bring It
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Fahrenheit
Winning Eleven 10
Pro Evolution 5
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
X-Men: Legends
X-Men: Legends 2
Gran Tourismo 3
Need For Speed: Underground
FIFA Street 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Gameshark 2v3

And others!

No comments: