Monday, April 05, 2010

Back To The Real World

"Eye level"

And she rose up from the seat shaped like a tree stump, planting herself on the similarly-decorated table. For a moment she said nothing more, eyes flashing under the moonlight, the amber glow of the streetlamps casting a yellow haze on the night. The breeze snaked through the quiet buildings, lending a coolness to the warm evening. A wisp of hair, unruly and disobedient, fell across her eyes and she flicked it over a bare shoulder.

"Hi."

"Hi."

"Doing good?"

"Mhmm."

"Thanks for tonight."

"You don't have to thank me. I like nights like this."

"I like the company."

A smile, and then mirrored an instant later. Looking away after a long heartbeat, before his gaze trailed back. Absently reaching. A Beatles classic as a group of strangers walked past in the distance, their laughter echoing that of the midnight pair under the leaves and stars. Staring.

"We should be getting back."

"In a minute."

And so the minute passed, and two pairs of footsteps moved through the gloom. Hands reaching for each other in the quiet, over imagined obstacles.

"We could… stay."

"No, no we can't. Time to get back to the real world."

"This is the real world to me. This is more real than anything else."

"Don't."

"It's true."

"I know. I just don't know what it is you see. I don't understand."

"And that's just one more thing to add to the list of things I love about you."

"Stop -"

"Hammertime?"

Laughter once more. They stepped around dirt and debris, watching for cars and hidden steps. Arms around one another, silent except for the sighs.

"Thank you."

"I told you, you didn't have to thank me."

"You gave me a night where I couldn't stop smiling. For that I can't thank you enough."

Another smile, matched once more. Hair in his face.

"Let's go."

"Mhmm."

An embrace.

"Good night."

No comments: