Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Demon Barber

There's a hole in the world like a great black pit,
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit,
And the vermin of the world inhabit it.


I like that. From Johnny Depp & Tim Burton's latest collaboration, Sweeney Todd. I just caught it a couple of days ago, here's what I think.

Alot of people I've spoken to offer either "I gave up on Depp after Willy Wonka" or "A musical? sheesh." To the former, I would have to agree. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was shit. The book was awesome; reading it multiple times as a kid really got me going.

As for those who would bash the movie becuase it's a musical, therein lies my chief complaint about the film. Too much singing. There, I said it. The movie opens with a sailor (no, not Matt Damon) singing about going to London, before Depp - dark eyes and all - interjects singing about how London is really unlike anywhere else in the world, but for different reasons altogther than those floating around the pretty sailor's feeble brain. Of course, he forgot to mention Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham.

From there, the movie moves at an alright pace, with more songs to guide the (hopefully) enthralled audience along the dusty scenes. The exchange between Todd and his "landlady" in what would become (or was) his barbershop was actually really good, I thought.

Then there's Jack Sparrow vs Borat, another nice exchange, leading to the first...

Well, I won't give the plot away.

But suffice to say, I thought the movie bloody funny. Literally. Just have to listen, and try not to cringe.

PS: If you are going to watch it, don't bring any food with chili inside, or at least eat it quickly before... well, before.

No comments: