Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Tis The Season

No, not Christmas. Not yet, anyway.

Just the season for celebration, it seems. Three weekends running, it looks to be. A wedding, a surprise birthday party, and...well, Chinese New Year. The last one isn't much of a big deal to me personally, but that'll mean that the crowds are going to be killer and/or most of the shops won't be open this weekend. Plus an added day off next week. Two, for some. And don't forget today. Valentine's.

Another wedding a couple of weeks ago, this time I was actually pleasantly surprised to have been invited. I'm not antisocial, but I guess I wasn't really close to the guy during my school days, and this was probably the first time I've seen him in years. Most of the people there we like "Hey, wait a minute, he has a girlfriend?" Well, not anymore! I won't even go into the discussion of hair extensions that someone started. Or the very over-the-top "speech" given by one of the guys, talking about how they were 14 and stuff.

On to the surprise birthday party. I've never been part of a surprise birthday party. This one went well, I guess, with about half the balloons comitting suicide before the birthday boy arrived. And us dressing him up as a pink fairy was the icing on the cake. Which I didn't have. I'll put up the pictures if you guys want. We also got introduced to Taboo. A great game. But how in the hell do you describe Rod Stewart without saying short, blond or singer??

And last, but not least, today is the big day. Some think Valentine's is just a gimmick to sell more flowers at inflated prices. Others think that it's the day to express how much you love someone. Lots of people will be looking to reveal their hidden tendencies to stalk unsuspecting friends today, lots of people will be smiling while silently resenting the cheap perfume that their boyfriend got. Others will be gushing and rewarding their significant others with a well-deserved... err... reward. I know/hope none of the above applies to me, but it's all good. Hopefully.

All in all, a very eventful end-January and early-February 2007. If the rest of the year continues at thisr ate, I'll definitely be occupied, but broke.

No comments: